Roya Brown- Executive Director
Roya is a self-directed and innovative educator with a passionate commitment to student development. As a “teacherpreneur,” she divides her work between teaching students and designing systems-level solutions for public education. Her 22 years of educator experience ranges from teaching K-12 students in urban public schools and juvenile detention centers, to lecturing at a community college.
Roya has extensive expertise in curriculum design, differentiated instruction, individual educational plans, intervention strategies, multicultural awareness, data-driven instruction, student assessment, gifted and talented programs, student-centered instruction, teaching at-risk students, standard-based program instruction, and project-based learning. In addition, she has served as a board member in charge of writing grants for the architecture, construction, and engineering mentorship program for high schools (2009-2011).
Prior to teaching, Roya was an engineer/project manager for over 17 years in the engineering and construction industries. She designed engineering projects, prepared project cost estimates, negotiated contracts, developed project plans, created schedules and budgets, developed marketing strategies, prepared proposals, and participated in organization strategic planning. In 2004-2005, Ms. Brown served as a construction project manager for the Mercy Corps, a humanitarian organization for the Bam Earthquake victims in Iran where 31,000 people were killed. She managed over $1M in capital cost projects including construction of several health houses, an obstetrics unit, an emergency room, and a school building for the victims. She supervised and trained staff, prepared bid documents, conducted bids opening, and monitored contractor work. Roya is fluent in Farsi, Dari, Tajik (Middle Eastern languages) as well as English.
- M.A., Special Education; University of Colorado, Denver, CO; 2011
- B.S., Mathematics; and Teaching Certificate in Secondary Education; Metropolitan State College, Denver, CO; 2000
- B.S.E., Engineering; University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL; 1982
- Diploma ("A" Level), Mathematics; North Oxfordshire Technical College, England; 1975
LICENSEs & CERTIFICATIONS
- Colorado Professional Teacher License Endorsed in Secondary Mathematics
- Colorado Professional Teacher License Endorsed in Ages 5-21 Special Education (SPED)
- Colorado Board of Community Colleges Credential for Career and Technical (Vocational) Education Endorsed for Secondary / Postsecondary / Adult
- Colorado Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Certificate in the Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Program
- Colorado Master Electrician License, 1991-2004